Monday, October 03, 2005

Penne con Zucca Gialla

It's that time of year again...autumn means squash are in the stores again. I like the little delicata squash, mainly because one is the perfect size for a meal for two, and because they are the easiest squash to peel. I just use a regular veggie peeler on them then cut off the ends, scoop out the seeds and you're ready to go!

This is a fantastic autumn and winter dish, and of course, super easy. I first tasted this dish in a Roman osteria and, when I came home I set to work to replicate it. I think it tastes pretty close.

1 delicata or small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
white wine
chicken or vegetable broth
pinch thyme, salt, pepper
3 tbsp. cream (optional)

In a large skillet, heat some olive oil. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the squash and stir-fry a couple minutes. Add a splash of wine (about 1/4 cup) and when it's stopped sizzling and steaming, add about 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup broth. Cover and cook until the squash are tender, adding more broth if needed to keep from drying out. Add the thyme, salt and pepper, along with the cream if desired. Toss with freshly cooked penne pasta and top with a grating of parmigiano reggiano cheese.

copyright 2005 Valerie Schneider

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's delicious. Lots of other good recipes, too.

Valerie said...

Glad you liked it. I made this again last night and it was delicious. I prepared a side of swiss chard which complimented it well.

Anonymous said...

I love penne with pumpkins too! I think your butternut with broth and thyme must result in a very delicate taste. What do you think of my recipe?