Saturday, June 18, 2005

Rosemary

I have a gigantic rosemary bush in my back courtyard. It has been hacked at several times but always grows out of control again. It provides a nice vibrant green next to the house, and a gives off its fragrant aroma whenever we brush past it.

But what to do with the overgrowing herb other than using bits of it at a time to flavor dishes? I cut branches and put them in a vase as greenery with my cut roses. But for cooking, I like to use it in several ways. I often cut three or four branches and use them together to baste roasting chicken. It imparts a subtle flavor. I also use branches, stripped of all the needles, as skewers. They're perfect for grilling sausages. So if you find yourself with an abundance of rosemary, fire up the grill and give it a try.

No comments: